I no longer have this vehicle. Do I still have to pay the bill?

If an excise bill is received for a vehicle or trailer which has been sold, traded, donated or junked, it is the registrant’s responsibility to inform the towns Assessors Office and supply them with all necessary information. Our advice is to pay the bill first then investigate the appropriate adjustment with the Assessor’s Office. 


It is important that the bill for the vehicle that is no longer owned, not be ignored. The collection process will not cease until the proper paperwork has been filed with the Assessor’s Office.

Show All Answers

1. When are Motor Vehicle excise tax bills mailed?
2. When are Motor Vehicle excise taxes due?
3. My Motor Vehicle excise tax bill was mailed to the wrong address. What should I do?
4. How is my vehicle’s value calculated, and what should I do if I think my Motor Vehicle excise tax is too high?
5. I just received and paid a MV excise tax bill. Why am I receiving another?
6. I no longer have this vehicle. Do I still have to pay the bill?
7. I should have received a Motor Vehicle Excise bill. Why have I not received one?
8. Can I make a partial payment towards my excise bill?
9. Is there a grace period on Motor Vehicle excise tax bills?
10. Do you accept postmarks for payment date receipt?
11. Why am I receiving another tax bill for my new car? When I registered my new car at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, I paid a tax. Am I paying twice?
12. What are Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Billing Steps?