The Town Clerk is the official keeper of all town records, by-laws, the town seal, chief election official, public records officer and a member of the Board of Registrars.
The Town Clerk is also responsible for:
- Public records requests
- Vital Records: records and preserves vital records including birth, death and marriage
- Town Committee member appointments, ethics and terms of office
- Permits: Dog, yard sale, raffle, temporary sign permits
- License permits: Business licenses, auto, billiards, coin-operated amusements, common victualler, entertainment, hawker-peddler, liquor and mini golf
- Annual Town Report: Compiling reports from all Town departments, committees and boards and working with the publisher to produce a timely, accurate report of all the activity, expenditures and projects for the prior year
- Decisions: Town Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals are filed with the Town Clerk’s office
- All Town Committee meetings postings: OPEN MEETING LAW: Per the Attorney General's office, if a public body does not post notice for a meeting 48 hours in advance (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays) then the public body may NOT hold the meeting. Committee meetings must be posted by 3:30PM to the Town Clerk's office.
- Town Committee Minutes are received by the Town Clerk’s office and uploaded to the committee webpage.