Single-Use Plastics & Environmental Hazards Bylaw
- What does the Eastham bylaw cover?
At Town Meeting held in September 2020, Eastham voters approved adopting a bylaw banning certain single-use plastics from commercial sale or distribution, effective September 21, 2021. The bylaw was approved by the Attorney General. The bylaw prohibits the following single-use, petroleum-based plastic products from being commercially sold or distributed:
- Who does the bylaw cover?
This bylaw is directed at commercial sales, distribution, and use of the products mentioned above. The sale of these items, as well as provision of these items as part of a commercial service, are included in this ban. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Grocery stores
- Restaurants and takeout places
- Liquor stores
- Gas stations
- Coffee shops
- Health clubs
- Non-profits' events
Individuals are not subject to the bylaw; however, we hope all will join in the spirit of the bylaw in reducing single-use plastic waste. We need everyone's participation and consumer support to make the greatest difference.
- When is the bylaw effective?
Items no longer for commercial sale/distribution and effective date:
Items Effective Date Single use plastic water bottles (less than one gallon) September 21, 2021 Plastic checkout bags November 1, 2021 Balloons filled with lighter than air gasses (including helium) November 1, 2021 Plastic straws November 1, 2021 Polystyrene food service containers (bowls, cups, trays, plates) November 1, 2021 Plastic cutlery November 1, 2021 Foam packing peanuts November 1, 2021 Polystyrene foam coolers November 1, 2021
- When will this be enforced?
Beginning November 1, 2021.
- Why is this bylaw in effect?
Eastham voters approved it in September 2020. Please click the links below of you are interested in learning more:
- What can I do?
While this bylaw applies to commercial businesses, non-profits, and other entities, to reduce the impact of plastics becoming an environmental hazard as a resident or visitor, you can:
- Carry a re-fillable water bottle (or two) with you.
- Use bamboo or stainless steel straws.
- Bring your own re-usable bags when shopping. You can also purchase re-usable produce bags. Keep extras in your vehicle for last minute errands.
- Do not litter, check around you when leaving the beach, and dispose of all waste properly. Be sure light items are anchored down so they don't blow away.
- Check the back of your pick up truck for any loose plastic items that could blow out and become litter.
- Use pinwheels instead of balloons (There are also paper pinwheels you can purchase).